New mums-to-be. You are about to embark on the most exciting amazing, challenging, rewarding, journey of your life. I need to ask for a favour...
Nobody can tell you what becoming a mother is "really like" until you experience it yourself... there is truly nothing like... holding your baby for the very first time.
The smell of your baby as they snuggle into your neck, the feeling of your soft babies skin on yours. Their light touches as they are all curled up and cuddle into your chest.
Their little tiny fingers and toes, cute button nose and soft chubby cheeks are enough to make anyone fall in love... but it's nothing like a mothers love. Which you can't be prepared or told about until you truly understand it because you're living it.
I know that I'm truly a better person since I became a mother and SO MUCH just clicks into place as your stepping into the world of being a mum!
Things that my mother used to say, at the time I would have rolled my eyes, but today as I look back on them... I get it now.
I loved every moment of my body changing, as I learnt to love my bump and learning about the little heartbeat inside of me and what developmental stage my baby was in.
Then as my babies were growing and changing and learnt to love each stage more and more. Each stage, being cuter than the next. The one thing I couldn't do was "slow time" down. They really do grow and change so quickly in the early stages of life!
However, the very first moments with your baby are truly magical and so precious. The time you'll never get back. They do little things in the newborn stage that they will never do again! When you are going thru the motions of having a new baby in the house you may not realise how important all of the everyday tasks are to your baby and having them captured will give you the gift of memories to chat to your kids as they age.
In the beginning, the first few weeks, you'll be on such a steep learning curve that we don't truly relax and enjoy every moment as you go through the motions. Your baby is so beautiful and tiny and they will never be like this ever again.
That's why I believe newborn photography to be so extremely important. Little moments in your first days of becoming a family captured so you'll have the memories forever.
I am moving away from babies in props and moving into photo's that are capturing real-life moments that really portray everybody's personalities to shine through in the photographs because in 20 years time that's what you're going to want to remember!
If you're about to have a baby and value love, family plus capturing memories. You're interested in a lifestyle shoot for your new little family, please shoot me a message to get in touch and I'll let you know what our current special offer is here in Brisbane Australia for family photography
Why hire a professional?
- I know this might be a terrible thing to say, however, I do believe the children don't behave the same way for other adults as for their own parents.
- Timing is everything! They're often times where you might have absolute chaos and just at the moment, your photographer can catch something beautiful and sometimes it takes a professional photographer's "experienced eye" to be able and see the rose between the thorns.
- I do know how fantastic phones are but the problem with phones is that mum or dad is always holding it... so, therefore, you don't have an opportunity to have beautiful photos together.
- If you're having a professional photographer come out you, then you're prepared the whole experience. So meaning you're looking your finest, you know what to wear, what to do, where your location is and if you have a really good photographer they are able to set the mood for everything, creating a smooth calm relaxed and enjoyable experience.
- Creating a legacy of what your family are and have today. Family means everything so its super important to capture the little things you want to remember the most!
- It's so important for your children, As parents, we are quick to say that we don't need or want to be in photos but think about your mother for a seconded. Would you like to have a photograph that shows the two of you and how you were when you were a child? I can almost guarantee your child would want that!
- In this digital world we live in I fear that your memories will be lost. A photographer can great some amazing art that will outlive you and you can talk to your grandkids about.
- It really is all about the little moments that happen every day that you never want to forget and a photographer will think to capture those things!
- Not to mention the QUALITY time you get to spend with your kids on that day... HEY if the shoot goes well then you could celebrate with a fun activity or a reward after the shoot.
- People in the photographs will change but the photos will not, keeping those treasured memories forever rendering them more valuable as time goes on.
Need a Brisbane Photographer? I would love to have a chat to work out your needs.
Have you heard of the 5 S's for settling baby From Pediatrician Dr Hаrvеу Kаrр. Many times throughout a photography session I would need to stop a make sure your baby was nice and settled. I would go through these steps and most of the time this will win baby over and make them nice and calm.
2. Side or Stomach
3. Sway and Swing
4. Sound/ Shhhhh
• SWADDLE BABY
Nеw bаbiеѕ mау fееl much mоrе secure if ѕwаddlеd. Put
baby intо a соttоn blаnkеt frоm nесk аnd down. Thiѕ will
restrain their flауing limbѕ, whiсh rеаllу саn disturb аn
infant with their reflex.
At аrоund ѕix wееkѕ, уоu may wаnt tо release one аrm,
so thаt hе can find hiѕ mоuth with hiѕ hand. This wау he
саn ѕtаrt self-soothing by suckling.
• SIDE OR STOMACH CARRYING
Many bаbiеѕ gеt a lot саlmеr if саrriеd bеllу down. It can
hеlр if thе bаbу hаѕ stomach раin and may hеlр him
• LET BABY SUCKLE
Aѕ you will nоtiсе, breastfeeding is a grеаt wау tо soothe
a bаbу. You саn аlѕо lеt him ѕuсklе a dummy while
settling оr уоur сlеаn finger (with a vеrу short fingеr nаil).
Sucking in a natural settling motion for babies.
• LET BABY SWING
Swinging уоur bаbу, еithеr in уоur аrmѕ, in a ѕtrоllеr,
cradle, bаbу bоunсеr оr саr ѕеаt are all vеrу еffiсiеnt. Trу
swinging your bаbу in your arms bеllу down or on the chest.
• SHH, SHH, SHHHHHHH
Sоmе ѕау thаt thе shh, ѕhh sound resembles whаt thе
bаbу heard all day lоng in thе wоmb. This is whу
ѕhuѕhing is ѕо еffiсiеnt also continuos sounds like white
noise will help.
Putting оn whitе nоiѕе “music”; works rеаllу wеll fоr ѕоmе
babies and help mask other noises in the home.
Something that I always remember worrying about as a new parent was... if my baby was warm enough or were they too warm???
If they could just talk and tell us what they needed lol.
I nurse told me to measure the head from the top of their head as that is where the heat escapes. If the head was warm they were ok. The best way to check on your baby’s temperature I found was by putting your hand on the skin on the back of their neck. Don’t use their hands or feet as a guide as they will always feel cooler than the rest of their body. If your baby is too hot... you will feel the skin is hot, slightly clammy or sweaty, and you will need to remove some layers.
If you're worried you can take their temp. Should be around 36.5°C.
As they are not moving much they should have one more layer then you are wearing.... arhhhh so much to think about right!
Many experts recommend that the temperature in the room where a baby's sleep, should be kept between 20–22.2°C. Although most bedrooms don't have their own thermostats, an indoor thermometer can help you track the room temperature.
When you see lots of baby photos or newborn photography you will see babies are not wearing much or wearing a beany. But some times the way they are dressed for photography is not practical and the room may have been temperature controlled to suit the babies needs.
You want to have all the main things packed weeks before because you just don't know as everyone's birth story is different.
For your baby... you'll have a baby YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!
The hospital should have everything you need to get you started and remember your partner will be able to go to the shops or home.